How Do I Teach My Dog to Come?
So today we are going to talk about how to teach your dog to come to you on command, The following steps will help you teach your dog to respond to the “come” command.
The Steps to teach your dog to come to you
- Start indoors. When you are first teaching your dog any new command, it is important to start in a quiet environment away from distractions, so starting indoors is a good idea.
- Teach your dog to give you his attention. If you are just starting to train your dog, you may need to wave a treat or call his name to get him to give you his attention. Once your dog responds to you, you can begin to train him to respond to commands.
- Choose the right reward. To get your dog to repeat the behavior once he responds how you want him to, you need to encourage him with a reward. Small treats work best for the first few repetitions of a new trick; then you may want to move on to physical rewards, such as playtime or a belly rub.
- Give him praise. Praising your dog is another important part of training. Your dog naturally seeks your approval, and if you make it obvious that a certain behavior pleases you, your dog is more likely to repeat it.
- Stand across the room from your dog. To begin teaching the come command, have someone gently hold your dog’s leash as you stand across the room from them.
- Give the verbal command. Choose a simple word or phrase, such as “come” or “come here,” while giving an accompanying hand signal.
- Open your arms . While making eye contact with your dog, open your arms after giving the verbal command to encourage your dog to come to you.
- Praise and reward your dog. If your dog responds appropriately, immediately praise and reward him, so he connects the reward directly with the behavior.
- Repeat the training sequence.If you want the best results to teach your dog to come to you ,like most things is dog training repetition is the key . Once your dog gets the hang of the basic sequence, he will start to automatically respond to the command.
The Final words
There you have it ,a list of simple tips to teach your dog to come to you.Remember if you want real results in the fastest time repetition and consistency is the key when training your dog,this also applies to the more complicated tricks such as roll over and shake a paw. Use good fundamentals and the learning curve for your dog will be much shorter.
Thanks for reading
I have another article that talks about a different method to help with training your dog called clicker training method so that article may also be of help to you.